Don’t you love it when your life just feels FABULOUS? You’re sleeping soundly, you have lots of energy, and you’re feeling totally in the flow. I mean, you feel like a total badass! Then slowly but surely, you stop doing all of the things that helped you get in the flow in the first place. Now you’re exhausted, bloated, your skin is dull, your brain is foggy, and your sleep schedule sucks. And eventually, you realize you need to get your health back on track… again!
Don’t beat yourself up—I fall off track too! And it happens more often than I care to admit.
I know with summertime comes lots of messaging about how our bodies “should” look and feel right now. All that pressure can make taking that first step back toward your healthiest self feel overwhelming or even impossible. But I know that knowledge, a lil’ confidence and some encouragement is all you need.
To help you get started, I’ve put together a list of my Top 5 tips to get your wellness back on track and avoid a summer shame spiral. I always start with one of these bad boys when I need to get myself back in the game.
1. Eat Your Greens
Okay, I know you’ve heard me say this like a million times, but it’s no joke! Greens are the most nutrient dense food on the planet—and the number one food missing from the American diet. Adding more greens into my daily diet was—and is—my first step towards getting my health back on track.
Eat meals heavy in greens and non-starchy vegetables that are packed with nutrients and a ton of disease fighting and preventative deliciousness. Juice those greens or make a yummy smoothie for an easy and instant vitamin and mineral packed boost to your bod.
2. Take Extra Care of Your Gut.
I really believe that all good health begins in your gut. Digestive problems can wreak havoc over your entire body, leading to allergies, arthritis, autoimmune disease, hormone imbalances, IBS, rashes, acne, chronic fatigue, mood disorders, autism, dementia, cancer and more (holy sh#t!).
Your gut is a huge player in your immune system too. It’s the first line of defense between you and anything dangerous you happen to swallow. So, if you’re feeling bloated, sluggish, constipated or have any type of stomach discomfort, your gut is in need of some TLC if you want to get your health back on track.
Start by eating whole unprocessed foods with lots of fiber: vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans and whole complex grains. This means REAL FOOD, my friends—and mostly plants. Add in some fermented foods like sauerkraut and kimchee, as well as a good probiotic and you’ll be back to groovy gut health in no time. For more ways to heal your glorious gut, check this out.
3. Master Your Meal Prep
When my schedule is off the chain, I don’t have time to figure out what I’m going to eat for every meal, let alone the snacks in between. This is when we often reach for unhealthy fast foods and snacks. So to get myself back into the groove, I check those boxes off the to-do list on Sunday afternoon.
By doing the work ahead of time and sticking to nutritious and easy recipes, I can just grab-and-go in the mornings. Let’s face it: sometimes you’re nowhere near a Whole Foods hot bar when you finally have time to eat. I know meal prep can seem daunting, but once you get into the habit, you’ll be thanking yourself eternally.
And I’ve got your back! Here is my meal prep system in five easy steps:
- Search Recipes – Google, anyone? How about Pinterest? Search for “healthy plant based meals” or “easy paleo recipes.” Better yet, pull down those cookbooks hiding away in your bookshelves and put them to use.
- Make a Weekly Meal Plan – Keep it simple! Easy breakfasts like greens and eggs or green smoothies. Chicken, hummus and greens or avocado toast make quick lunches. Roasted veggies and protein or a hearty soup or stew will work for dinner.
- Make a Grocery List (and stick to it!) – Use your meal plan to make your list. Make sure you check out your pantry, fridge and freezer for ingredients you already have. Save those pennies for your vacation!
- Prep and cook ahead of time! I plan to cook larger portions on Sunday. Make double batches of sauces and complex grains like quinoa or brown rice. Roast some veggies, and barbeque or roast some chicken or salmon. Plan to cook a few nights a week, but make it easy on yourself by having some bulk items prepped ahead of time or frozen for easy dinner defrost action.
Now that you have the basics, the frills are up to you. You’ll want to make the process your own. Put on some jazz or rock ’n roll. Gather some of your girlfriends, and make a night of it. Get your family or partner involved. Make your kitchen a place for everyone. Whatever makes the task fun!
4. Step Up Your Self-Care.
I know from experience that it is SO easy to put the demands of your job, your family, even your pets above your own needs. Well, that may work for a hot minute, but in the long run, everyone suffers, especially YOU!
If you’re not taking proper care of yourself, it won’t be long before your body is totally out of whack. Say hello to exhaustion, frustration and confusion. And how can you expect to make it through long hours on set when you feel so scattered?
Get back into the habit of taking real care of yourself, so you can be the best version of you—then you can take care of all of the other people and things important to you. When you make time for creative endeavors, exercise, meditation, massages or just serious fun, you develop a better understanding of who you are and what your body really needs to thrive.
These are key to get your health back on track.
The mental fog will lift, and you’ll feel more connected to the world around you. And when you feel good, life will go back to flowing more smoothly.
5. Manage Your Stress
Let’s face it, the world hasn’t gotten any less stressful over the past few years.
I know it may seem impossible to relax right now, but when you’re trapped in a cycle of worry, fear or anger—it not only contributes to chronic diseases, but your happiness takes a huge heave-ho out the window.
Here are a few simple ways to step back into a stress free zone.
- Start with your meditation practice, and if you don’t have one, start one! Takes ten minutes a day to feel the awesome benefits. If you need a little extra guidance, check out the apps Calm or Headspace.
- Step up your sleep time! Sleep is literally the best make-up of all time. Not only will you look better, you’ll be more equipped with a clear head to handle life’s daily challenges.
- Learn about natural remedies for stress and anxiety like adaptogenic herbs that can help if you’re struggling with stress, chronic exhaustion, anxiety or stubborn belly fat.
It’s important to remember that you don’t have to do this all at once. It took some time tapering off your good habits to get you into your slump, so it will take some time before you get your health back on track and you’re back to being a badass.
Don’t be discouraged! Start small by doing the one thing that comes easiest.
Maybe that is just starting your day with a green smoothie to get more nutrients back in your bod. Soon you’ll start feeling better, and you’ll want more of that good feelin’. That’s the time to add back in another step and then the next.
It’s like climbing a ladder, one rung at a time.
And remember, you’re never too far off track! If you need a cheerleader or a coach to help you get back into the zone, I’m your girl. I’d love to help you be your healthiest you, so if you’d like to schedule a free consultation, click here to email me and we can get rockin’ and rollin’!
Which wellness tip will you start with first? Is there one of your favorites not on this list? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
LOVE + summer health!