Green smoothie recipes are kind of my jam. They are the easiest way to incorporate lots of glorious fruits and vegetables into your daily diet that you otherwise might not get with traditional meals. Plus, smoothies are super fun to make and a great way to practice your childlike curiosity by experimenting with different flavors.
Greens have more valuable nutrients than any other food group on the planet, yet they are the number one food missing from the American diet.
The recipe I’m sharing today serves up over 2-3 cups of dark leafy greens in just one serving, which is more than many people get in a week!
Why You Should Always Eat Your Greens
Meals heavy in greens and non-starchy vegetables are packed with nutrients and a ton of disease fighting and preventative deliciousness. Greens have high-quality, easily-assimilated amino acid—enough to build the protein that supports the muscle mass of the mighty, greens-eating gorilla!
Blending your greens is crucial—the nutrients are encased inside the plant cells, and in order to get their benefits, you must rupture the cells’ walls. Greens need to be worked down to a creamy consistency, but most people simply don’t chew that much (or much at all!). Blending those glorious greens into a smoothie creates an easy and instant vitamin and mineral packed boost for your bod.
So, without further ado, here is my springtime take on my Glorious Greens Smoothie with a tropical twist!
Glorious Greens Tropical Smoothie Recipe
Makes 1-2 servings
· 1 cup coconut water or filtered water
· 1 tbs avocado or hemp oil (the oil keeps the greens from oxidizing + it’s a healthy fat)
· 1 very large handful of organic spinach
· ½ head of organic romaine lettuce
· ½ cucumber
· ½ frozen banana
· ½ cup frozen mango and/or pineapple
· ¼ – ½ organic lemon, roughly peeled
· 3 springs of mint
· 2 tsp grated fresh ginger (optional, but delish 🙂
Top with tropical fruit and/or berries, if desired.
- Combine the spinach, romaine and water in a blender and begin processing on low, slowly moving to a higher speed until smooth.
- Add in remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Give it a taste, add extra pineapple if you prefer a sweeter smoothie.
- Drink and bliss out!!
If you don’t drink it all in one sitting, you can refrigerate, covered, for up to 2½- 3 days. A glass mason jar with a lid is perfect for this.
Are you going to give this yummy green smoothie a try this week? Let me know how it goes by taking a snap of your smoothie and tagging @moniquaplantewellness on IG!
LOVE + lots of green!
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment