Do you have trouble slowing down? This may sound counterintuitive, but I have a few “activities” to help you take more time for yourself this winter. And no, this doesn’t mean adding more items to your to-do list!
Whether you believe in Mercury Retrograde or think it’s a little woo-woo, it’s hard to deny that the first few weeks of 2023 have been shaking up a lot of energy. The good news is that we’re entering a period ripe for artistic expression and heart-opening moments… but only if we slow down enough to fully make use of it!
So what could it hurt to use this cosmic event as an excuse to take a breather and recharge your creative mind?
Here are 5 easy ways you can slow down your day.
Extend Your Morning Routine
Morning rituals are so important to leading a healthier, happier life because they set the stage for your entire day. The key to a successful morning ritual is having enough time to actually use it, and right now, I want you to leave some extra empty space in your calendar to ease into the start of your day.
Cook breakfast instead of reaching for instant options. Add in some extra movement or time with your family or pets. Or just see what the morning brings when you don’t have any plans. (Whatever you do, no work!)
Savor Your First Sip
One of the easiest ways to slow down is to enjoy a warm beverage because it’s obviously harder to drink fast. 😉 Find a comfy spot to sit and enjoy your morning latte or tea, with no extra distractions around. Think about how each of your senses are engaged while you enjoy your cup and any feelings or memories that come up.
Here’s a recipe for a yummy Turmeric + Ginger Latte that’s perfect for a slow winter morning.
Turmeric + Ginger Latte
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk (preferably homemade or boxed. You can use canned coconut milk, but it will be very rich!)
- 1-2 heaping teaspoons of fresh peeled & grated turmeric root
- 1 heaping teaspoon of fresh, peeled & grated ginger root, more if you like ginger spice! (or 1 teaspoon ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Raw honey, organic maple syrup or stevia to taste (I use coconut or vanilla stevia)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Warm up the almond or coconut milk in a small saucepan. Don’t let it boil; it will overflow!
- Add turmeric, ginger and cinnamon.
- Gently mix in the coconut oil and heat until melted. Use a wire whisk to stir.
- Stir in honey or sweetener of choice to taste.
- Transfer to a blender (or use a handheld frother) and blitz until good and frothy! NOTE: Make sure to let a lil air escape when blending hot liquids, otherwise you’ll have turmeric splattered walls!
- Sprinkle it with cinnamon for a lil extra on top.
- Sip and bliss out!!
Keep in mind turmeric’s bright orange-yellow color! It might stain light colored countertops. It will fade, but it’s good to know ahead of time.
Make It A “No Phone” Morning
There’s no quicker way to get our blood pumping than hearing that phone notification ding! While you’re concentrating on taking it easy, put your devices on silent and away in a drawer, so it won’t be a distraction. I promise, your email can wait 30 minutes!
Create A Soothing Playlist
Speaking of technology, replace all those alarms and beeps with a slow soundtrack of music that helps you relax. Music is a powerful tool to change our mood, so you’ll find it easier to dive into the day with some high-vibe tunes.
Pick Up A Few Classic Hobbies
If you’re one of those people who hates to do things without a purpose, this tip is for you. Learn a new skill or take up a hobby that requires time to complete, like putting together a puzzle, building a model, painting, or knitting.
These activities will need your full focus but can also bring a sense of accomplishment without a lot of stress.
What ways do you slow down? Let me know in the comments below.
LOVE + relaxation,
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment